Palmadessa & Brodsky Colonoscopy Procedures in Bayside, Queens
Colonoscopies are an essential healthcare procedure for all adults over the age of 45. From detecting and removing precancerous polyps, to biopsying problematic tissue samples, and diagnosing a broad swath of GI diseases, a colonoscopy procedure comes with countless health benefits. Palmadessa & Brodsky’s board-certified physicians are experts at performing thorough colonoscopies and can help you bid farewell to GI issues. If you live in Bayside, Queens, schedule a colonoscopy with Palmadessa & Brodsky.
Colonoscopy Doctors Identify and Treat Colon Diseases
Colon conditions have many different causes, which vary greatly in the degree of their severity. But what specific GI conditions are colonoscopy procedures useful for detecting? What is the proper age to get a colonoscopy? How does a patient prep for a colonoscopy? How long does a colonoscopy take? What does colonoscopy recovery look like? What should I eat after a colonoscopy? Below are some facts about common GI issues, and what to expect from a colonoscopy.
- Colonoscopies detect and treat colon cancer, noncancerous polyps, colitis, diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and many other GI conditions
- 1 in 20 American adults develop colon cancer
- Most gastro doctors recommend everyone get a colonoscopy at 45 years of age
- Colonoscopies generally take 20-30 minutes
- Colitis: inflammation of the lining of the colon
- Diverticulitis: inflammation or infection of a small pouch in the digestive tract
Colonoscopy Prep – How to Prepare for Your Procedure in Bayside, Queens
Many patients are confused about how to prep for colonoscopy procedures. The truth is that the process is relatively straightforward. It begins 24 hours prior to the procedure, at which point patients must abstain from eating solid foods. It is okay to drink clear liquids; such as clear broth, or to eat dye free Jell-O. The point is to keep the GI tract – particularly the colon and small intestine – clear of anything that could obscure the colonoscopy doctor’s visibility. Additionally, the night before the procedure, patients are told to consume around 8 ounces of liquid laxatives in order to induce bowel-clearing diarrhea. Patients should also drink another 8 ounces about 6 hours prior to the procedure. This will allow Palmadessa & Brodsky’s board-certified physician to see your GI tract clearly during your colonoscopy.
Reap the Health Benefits of a Colonoscopy
You’re probably loaded with questions and reservations about a colonoscopy procedure. Indeed, it’s a sensitive subject to discuss, and is consequently easy to put off scheduling your procedure. Colonoscopies are minimally invasive, routine procedures that can only improve your long-term health. In short, the pros of getting a colonoscopy greatly outweigh any cons.
- Most effective means of colon cancer detection
- Allows colonoscopy doctor to discover and remove precancerous polyps
- Very few colonoscopy risks – less than 2 in 1000 people experience serious complications from colonoscopies. That’s less than .02%
- Patients often exhibit very few side effects from colonoscopies
- Tissue biopsies taken during colonoscopies result in more precise diagnoses
Colonoscopy Procedures with Palmadessa & Brodsky’s Leading Physicians
Quick, minimally invasive, and affordable colonoscopy procedures can provide all adults over the age of 45 with peace of mind. Studies have shown time and time again that colonoscopies are the most effective way to detect and treat most common GI diseases.
If you’re over 45 and living in the Bayside, NY area, Palmadessa & Brodsky’s leading team of board-certified gastroenterologists will handle this sensitive procedure with care, precision, and dignity. Schedule your colonoscopy with Palmadessa & Brodsky today.